Wednesday, April 16, 2008

"Christ the Lord, Out of Egypt" by Anne Rice


I just got done with this book. Anne Rice delivers a first-person narrative of Jesus' adolescent years. She seems to have done some extensive research for this work, and although it wasn't my favorite Anne Rice novel, it is "Rice-esque" in its rich language and imagery. I give it a thumbs up.
-
Coincidentally, the sequel to "Christ the Lord, Road to Cana" was released on 4-March-2008. I'll get started on that in the near future. For those that expect the secular, atheist themes which have brought Anne Rice acclaim, you'll be disappointed in the "Christ the Lord" Chronicles. After decades of atheism, Anne Rice has returned to her Catholic roots and is devoutly religious. She swears that there will never again be another Lestat novel, never another Mayfair saga. I neither applaud nor mourn the decision as it's always been her poetic style that has captivated me.
-
Here's an excerpt:
"I lay down on the grass, and felt of the wildflowers with my open hand. And I looked up through the branches of the olive tree. I wanted it that way---the sky in bits and pieces. I was happy. I could hear far away the pigeons and the doves of the village. I thought I could even hear the bees in their hives. I could hear something that was like the grass growing, but it wasn't that, I knew. It was all the sounds coming together and being soft---so unlike the sounds of a city."

1 comment:

Anne Rice said...

Thanks for your more than generous comments, and for your support, period, of my style. Much appreciated. And I thank you for quoting that paragraph. One thing I've noticed with the latest book: people are quoting it in their reviews, and that means the world. ---- Again my thanks. Anne Rice.