Tuesday, August 28, 2007

LAX Encounter

LAX Encounter
It was today that by chance I ran into a friend. Tony Schmidt happened to be boarding the same plane as me, and although I didn’t sit immediately next to him on the flight, we were able to chat for a few minutes after we deplaned. It turns out that Tony was on his way to an overseas deployment. For purposes of exercising good OPSEC, I’ll not disclose the actual location. Apparently his family had already moved to San Antonio to be close to relatives during his one-year hiatus. I’m prompted to write about this chance encounter because of the emotions that I faced seeing him disappear into a crowded terminal at LAX. How would Tony’s family deal with Daddy being gone for a year? With kids similar in age, I asked myself how my family might be in the event of my prolonged absence. Could this be the last time I saw Tony? What if it instead of Tony, it was Ed Harris languidly marching through halls of LAX, headed to an uncertain place, a strange place? It could just as easily be me.
Suddenly, it dawned on me that Tony was going off to secure my freedom, to defend the liberty of his wife, and to preserve the privilege of his children. His departure made me better appreciate those men and women who are in the direct line of fire. I, for one, consider myself fortunate to “NOT” be among them. To the macho-minded, the latter might sound like a pusillanimous remark, but presented with the same circumstances, I too would walk in Tony’s shoes. For now, I am grateful to be able to put my kids to bed, hug them, kiss them goodnight, and enjoy a Starbuck’s Ice Mocha with my wife. Thank you Tony for your sacrifice, and best of luck to your family.

No comments: