Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Lebanese Officer



For the past month I've sat in a captain-filled auditorium; we number in the hundreds. I've listened to guest speakers ranging from Tuskegee Airmen to Middle East Scholars, from Generals to Chief Master Sergeants. Several rows ahead of me, to the left, has sat an International Officer from Lebanon. I don't know his name, and if I did I couldn't spell or pronounce it. Anyway, he has on numerous times stood up in front of a patriotic and possibly intimidating crowd. In his sometimes indiscernible English, he has clarified positions and at times challenged opinions altogher. Those topics of course have been related to Mid-East conflicts.


I had never exchanged words with the Lebanese Officer, never exchanged non-verbal pleasantries...Until today. We exited the auditorium in mass after a lecture, and 30 feet into our languid walk I decided to say something. Understanding that at times he may have felt isolated, I thanked him for being involved in our studies, attending our school, and being immersed in our culture. "I hope that you've had a good experience," I said, "and despite any cultural or philosophical differences that may have arisen, I wish you well." I reached into my flight suit and pulled out a squadron coin. I presented it to him and thanked him once again. He thanked me and asked for my name; I obliged. The Lebanese Officer reached for the patch on his flight suit, yanked it off, and handed it to me. It was the Lebanese flag (pictured here). I thanked him, we shook hands, and parted ways.

Who knows if I'll ever see my Lebanese counterpart again? If I do, I sincerely hope that it again be on the fields of friendly strife.

No comments: